Thursday, October 7, 2010

Taking Myself Out

I've met a lot of great people in New York. In my short time here, my circle of friends has grown from tiny to small. What I lack in quantity however, I more than make up in quality. Each friend offers something unique and precious. I feel grateful every day to have them.

That being said, because I now have friends, I no longer venture out to the city alone very often. When I first moved here, I would go out solo quite a bit out of necessity. I didn' t know anyone and I didn't want to stay home, so out I would go. I would almost inevitably find an interesting person or have a great experience.

When you go out with friends it's also wonderful, but it becomes more about the friend and the interaction with them and less about the experience. I've decided to try and take a day a week where I take myself out. I don't want loose that feeling of giving myself completely to the city - to seeing where it takes me.

I started last Friday. I took myself out to a lecture at the Met with the famous director Norm Jeweson. He was being interviewed on stage by a New York Times film critic about his famous movie In the Heat of the Night. I had never seen the movie and thought this would be a good way to do it. I got free tickets online and took the 6 to the upper east side.

It was a grey, cool, drizzly evening and I got to the neighborhood early. I ducked into a small French restaurant and made myself comfortable at one of the four stools at the tiny bar. The oversized bartender was washing glasses when I came in. He turned immediately to take my order - a Manhattan.

As he made my drink, he revealed that this was his first shift at this bar and my Manhattan was his very first drink. I felt honored. He also said he was excited about my order - he didn't want his first drink to be a white wine or beer - or worse, some fancy concoction known only by the truly wealthy. I assured him his Manhattan was delicious and it was.

We started talking about his upbringing in Brooklyn and a recent finishing trip with his Dad in the Hamptons. He was 24 and had worked in a small bar in Brooklyn since he was 16. He viewed this move as a way to venture out and spread his wings. It was a big step for him and I felt lucky to be a part of this momentous move. Our conversation was extended by complimentary appetizers and pleasant company and I was 30 minutes late to the lecture.

My tardiness was inconsequential. Norm Jeweson had a family emergency and wasn't able to make it.

The movie was great, but wasn't the highlight of my evening. I was grateful to be a part of helping a fellow New Yorker start his own adventure and take a big step toward reaching his full potential. The city is full of stories - that evening I felt privlidged to be part of one about new beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment